Friday, September 12, 2014

Marcus Fabrics Friends and Companions Sew-Along - Week 7



Welcome to week #7 - block #7 on our Sew-Along!  We hope you are enjoying yourselves.  We have enjoyed reading your comments and want to tell you how much we all appreciate your kind words - big self-esteem boosters!!

I am so pleased to introduce myself to you.  Many of you know me through this blog, but for the "newbies", I am Mary Ellen Robison, the other half of the Red Crinoline Quilts team. (You met Paula back in week 2).  Now the moment I have been waiting for - the chance to tell you a little bit about me!!  I am the proud wife, mother, mother-in-law and grandmother of: Peter (husband), Megan, Brett and Caitlin (children), Meredith (dil) and Sydney and Julianne (granddaughters). Peter and I are both retired from our original careers (research and elementary school librarian) and now live in St.Petersburg, FL.  We actually built our house next door to the home where Peter grew up.  For the 1st time in our married lives we live near family and we love it!!

I began quilting way back in 1975, but have sewn since I was in junior high - my clothes, my childrens' clothes, curtains, etc.  An employment move brought Peter, Caitlin and I  to Houston in 1998 and we just so happened to move into the same neighborhood as Paula.  I began taking Paula's classes at the local quilt shop.  A friendship, a love of reproduction fabrics, and complimentary skills and the rest is history.  We began as Bonnie Blue Quilts in 2005 as an online quilt store specializing in reproduction fabrics, kits and patterns.  In 2011 we changed our name to Red Crinoline Quilts and changed the business focus - no more fabric by the yard on the website and no more traveling and vending at quilt shows.

Paula and I are co-owners of Red Crinoline Quilts and it is a match made in heaven.  We each have numerous daily jobs, but the business highlights our skills - Paula designs the quilts and the fabric and I make the quilts!  Even though we are states apart (Texas and Florida), technology and occasional retreats, help us bridge the gap!  I think one of the best parts of this friendship/partnership is that we make each other laugh and we both truly enjoy doing what we are doing.  It may get hectic, but in the long run we love it and wouldn't want to be doing anything else.  We've traveled (quilt shows, cruises) and met some of our best friends through this adventure. Plus, I've gotten to see my name in print in some of the top quilting magazines; something I never expected to happen in my wildest dreams!!

Let's get you started on block #7.  Here are the directions for my block: 
Marcus Fabrics Friends and Companions Sew-Along - Block #7-
 Mary Ellen's Block
Cutting Instructions:
  Light print -
      Cut (2) 3" squares
      Cut (8) 2 1/2" squares

  Black print - 
      Cut (2) 3" squares

  Green print - 
      Cut (4) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles

  Cheddar print -
      Cut (4) 1 1/2" squares

  Blue print -
      Cut (1) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangle
      Cut (2) 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles

Directions:
      1. Sew (2) cheddar 1 1/2" squares to (1) blue print 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles.
          Press to the blue.  Repeat with remaining (2) cheddar squares and (1) 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
          blue rectangle.


      2. Piece the center unit using the diagram.  Press to the 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" blue rectangle.


      3. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the (8) light 2 1/2" squares.


      4. Constructing the flying geese units: Place 1 light square on a green 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
          rectangles.  Sew on the pencil line.  Repeat with all of the 4 green rectangles.


      5. Press the light square to the green rectangle.  (You many trim the excess away if you like.)


      6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 and add a cream 2 1/2" square to the other corner of the green
          rectangles. The flying geese unit measures 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" unfinished.
    

      7. Draw a pencil line on the wrong side of the (2) light 3" squares.
          Pair each with a 3"black square.


      8. Sew 1/4" on each side of the pencil line.
          Cut along the pencil line.


      9. Press to the dark and trim to 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".


    10. Arrange the block units as shown.  Sew together into row.
          Press to the flying geese units.

    11. Sew rows together. Press seams away from center row.
          Your block should measure 8 1/2" unfinished.

Seven blocks done!! Are you keeping up with us or saving this for another day.  If you are like me, you probably have a few projects in line waiting for their turn at the sewing machine.  Right now I working on some quilts for Fall Market, but also trying to finish my blocks for a Churn Dash exchange.  As the time draws near for these blocks to be completed and exchanged I began to question myself about exchanges - why do I join them, why do I put myself under this stress and pressure, what was I thinking?  But then I finish them and I'm ready to sign up for the next one!!  Remember we are giving away prizes to 3 people that comment on this post, so let's hear your thoughts on exchanges:  do you like them, do you participate, do they make you nervous, do you prefer exchanges with rules or those with an anything goes attitude.  Any horror stories you are comfortable sharing?  Winners will be announced on Monday, September 15th.  Looking forward to reading your comments.

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

50 comments:

  1. I love Block exchanges that are simple, I also really like them when there are no specific rules and that it doesn't matter whether you handpiece, machine piece or foundation pieced the Block together.
    I really love doing different blocks of the month, they are just addicting and It is just so much fun to do them with friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm new to exchanges! I participated in my first one this year and I couldn't make my blocks fast enough and get them in the mail! I have 5 boys and we homeschool and life can get VERY busy around our house. Whenever I sign up for anything, I try to go ahead and get it done quickly before something else takes priority. It was like Christmas, receiving my set of blocks in the mail! My boys thought I was going crazy, flipping through each block, oohing and aahing over each one! I'm sure I'll be participating in more exchanges. I'm so THRILLED that I've been able to keep up with this quilt-along! I try to make each block the day it comes out---doesn't always happen but that is my goal. Like I said, other things always come up to take priority and I don't want to get behind!! I'm loving each block and can't wait to see the finish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love block exchanges. I love the thought that I have such lovingly made blocks from fellow quilters. And there's no better way to get a good variety of fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only participated in two exchanges. They were not really blocks but half square triangles. One was for making a tree of life quilt that is one of my favorite quilts. The variety from others was so fun to see. The other was from a group that has the Accuquilt GO machines. We picked a particular die and made HST's. I still have those. I liked the guidelines we had. They were both batiks and it was nice to get back the same amount you sent or turned in. Postage is probably the main challenge for me in doing an exchange. I would like to do more in person ones. Cute block and thanks for sharing your story. K-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Civil War fabrics and patterns are at the top of my quilting list and Red Crinoline is at the top of the quilting industry for feeding my addiction to Civil War!!! Thanks for all you and Paula do for us and keep up the good work. I am thoroughly enjoying this sew-along since it is Civil War-themed and the fabrics are perfect and the blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should mention Exchange this morning. A friend and I just presented a Red & White Block Exchange idea to our Guild Board members last night! This will be the first one I have done! Fingers crossed that it will be successful! Thank you for the BEAUTIFUL block - we are loving this quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy block exchanges. The first exchange I ever articulated in was through Country Threads in one of their Block Lotteries, and I won a nice little stack of blocks. Enough to make a small lap quilt.i have continued to participate in exchanges through my favorite quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been in many block exchanges and usually end up as the "exchange master". We finished one earlier this year that had gone on for over 2 years - 240 blocks! Loved it! All my quilts have turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love exchanges! A group of my quilting friends have exchanged fabric for specific quilts. We agree on a quilt to make and the type of fabric to use...repro, batiks, shirtings, etc. I get to do the math to determine what cuts, colors, etc go to each person. So far our swaps have been wonderful. I have made all but the last swap ...I think about 6 in total quilts. I love it when we share and see how different they are even with the same fabric. We even did a RC swap..Long Road home that we loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exchanges are a little scary for me, but it sure is a great way to get a nice scrappy selection of fabrics(as long as there are some guidelines--yes, I'm kind of anal that way)! Love the block!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy exchanging strips and charms to get a good variety of fabrics for scrappy quilts. My favorite way to exchange is Row or Round Robins, as long as I know the others in my group and deadlines are met. I normally do my swapping with internet groups, but I'm trying to cut back due to the cost of postage!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have enjoyed many exchanges of all types. However, I'm trying to be more realistic about time and money considerations and therefore, be more choosy about the exchanges I participate in. Hopefully, that will cut down the number of UFO's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been hosting a hand pieced exchange for several years on a yahoo group. It is always interesting to say the least but I do enjoy it for the most part. Fun to see all the blocks when they arrive!

    mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have enjoyed taking part in several block exchanges within the local quilt group. I tend to be conservative in fabric choices so using blocks from other quilters allows the addition of a variety of colors, fabrics, and designs I probably wouldn't have chosen on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun block! I am really enjoying this sew along!
    I haven't done many exchanges lately since I have grown to dislike deadlines. Life is busy with so many things to remember that I just don't want another thing on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I participate in every exchange my guilds offer. The last one was a
    9 patch only using CW prints....just waiting for inspiration to hit me with how to set it...and I am keeping up with the blocks...have been sewing them Sat morning before crazy weekend starts...
    can't wait to see finished quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love exchanges. I remember a diamond log cabin block draw made by our very new inexperienced guild years ago that I won, only to find out afterwards that many people had put my name down instead of theirs simply because they didn't know what to do with the blocks. I love the tree skirt I made with all of the signatures on them to this day. Ursula Y.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have Block 6 and 7 to do which is not too bad. I have never participate in an exchange although I have thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't participated in an exchange for ages, but enjoyed them when I did. Swaps are another story all together - got stiffed once and now I've sworn off of them....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have only participated in one block exchange-and maybe it wasn't a "real" block exchange. All the ladies in our quilting group made the same size square of their choosing out of Patriotic fabrics and then our leader sewed them together and made a quilt of them to give to a Veteran. This made me feel warm and good inside knowing that one of the brave soldiers who fight for our country will have a good quilt to keep them warm and comforted.
    I really like your block. The blue cross in the center really speaks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never done an exchange, but I have only been quilting for a couple of years. I think I would like to do one as long as their are some ground rules. I've heard horror stories where person A turns in blocks from their nice, quilt shop fabrics and get back blocks that are cheap fabrics. Also heard bad things where people aren't very precise (or as much of a perfectionist as I might be), so you end up reworking or fixing their blocks. Because of these stories, I've shied away. However, it would be fun to do one with a group of people you can trust.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I patciped twice in a exchange for ages because I thought it was a great way to have new fabrics but was a disastre because I never get anything from my partners despite emails.So I decided not to do it anymore.
    Don´t count me in the draw.Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't participated in an exchange in many, many years. I think the rules need to be very clear. The exchange that I took part in was a disappointment but I consider it ever so often. I do have a lot of UFO's so I should show some restraint!!

    Gloria
    gyates625@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't participate in exchanges. I wouldn't be pleased with someone else's fabric selections or workmanship. I would hate to put forth the effort and never complete the project because it didn't meet my standards.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't done and exchanges or swaps. I have entertained the idea but I don't like adding any extra pressures to my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never been in an exchange.....but it sounds like it might be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Step by step, block by block, designer by designer = Super Sew Along! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Exchange can make our world a better place, right!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love doing round robin block exchanges with my group of quilting friends. Each year the group chooses a theme from a favourite song, poem, book etc and then all group members make a block with their interpretation of the theme. The block can be pieced, appliqué or stitched. We have a fun time at reveal party seeing what everyone has made. Thank you for block 7, another wonderful block with very clear instructions

    ReplyDelete
  30. I used to do exchanges all the time UNTIL the exchange that broke me! I was using red and white only as my fabrics-I included lots of my own fabric and also said they could use their own reds with my whites. I got back red and white blocks sewed with black thread, red/white and other colors added, and also black and white blocks. I couldn't use any of the blocks! Thanks for another beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So far I've had positive experiences with exchanges. I love doing the charm square swaps as it gives me a nice variety of fabrics. Thanks for sharing your block. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for your wonderful block instructions that list the correct sizes of the unassembled units.
    I've had good luck with swaps of HST's and 4-patches in the 4 1/2" unfinished sizes, but I sure do wish that there was one for Civil War fabrics exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for the latest block, must catch up with them all as I am a bit behind

    ReplyDelete
  34. Don't believe I have ever participated in a block exchange! But if I did, I would want it to be organized, and with specific guidelines. I am really enjoying this Sew Along, can't wait to see what the finished quilt design will be!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am keeping up. I like this kind of block making, where I supply the fabric. Exchanges are fun but the quality of fabric is sometimes in question.(not always 100 percent cotton)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have never participated in a block exchange either. I don't want the pressure or the disappointment. I have however made quilts with a team for raffles, Quilts of Valor, and donations. It takes patience but can be fun and rewarding

    ReplyDelete
  37. The quilt group I belong to just started making blocks for friendship quilts. This is my first and I'm looking forward to getting blocks from my quilting sisters! I think it will be a good creative exercise for me & hope to have a wonderful keepsake after I have finished my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Is it possible to find a PDF version so I do not have to print all the extra stuff on the post-just the pattern?
    Exchanges are not good for me-I hate deadlines and, being a procrastinator, it is hard for to do them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have to wait till I get back into town before I can make Block #7, can't wait. I am enjoying each block design and actually keeping up. As to the question about block exchanges. I have participated in a few. Some have been wonderful and some gave presented me with creative opportunities due to squares being a wide variety of completed sizes. I think my finished projects have actually been better for the imaginative ways I have had to finish them. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love exchanges. It is fun to see all the different fabrics used and make a quilt from them. I love your block, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I haven't joined an exchange group yet. I would like to try that one day but right now, my schedule is too busy to allow me much sewing time. I think I would feel like you; moments of panic as you realize the time to mail the blocks is getting closer. And I wouldn't want to leave the group with missing blocks. So, not yet but one day, I'll have to try that at least once in my life time.
    This Sew Along is something I can follow though and I am really enjoying this. Thank you for doing little sew along like this.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have participated in a few block exchanges. The challenge in exchanging pieced blocks is that everyone's 1/4" seam allowance is not always 1/4" I do enjoy exchanging applique blocks with rules. I just finished a Birdhouse block exchange, and am currently doing a Snowman exchange. We each choose our own pattern, put a box of our own fabrics together and pass boxes monthly. The challenge here is "Thinking Inside the Box"

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am loving this quilt. I can hardly wait to see the finished product. I wish it were just a little bit bigger, but I am happy to be participating. Thanks for the opportunity to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just finished your block! I really like the bold center :) I enjoy exchanges and block lotto, too! Last week at guild I won a set of 20 blocks :). Woohoo! Thanks for this mystery project - I can't wait to see how it goes together!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Due to family dynamics, I cannot commit to exchanges. I do love doing blocks of the month. Currently working on Hampton Ridge and Mrs. Billings Coverlet. Gives me the best of two worlds, machine piecing and hand piecing. Love your block and all those that have come before. So glad I bought a kit. Thanks for the opportunity to win.

    ReplyDelete
  46. In the past, I loved exchanges, but due to numerous no-show packages, I haven't participated in a few years. It's too bad, because they were really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I do enjoy exchanges and I'm enjoying the mystery of all the blocks and watching as they are revealed. thanks for having us!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Have loved seeing all the blocks! Beautiful quilt!
    Sharonhaverkamp@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete